Great Quran Chapter 2 Verse 207
- And among men there is a person who sells himself (soul ) to get the pleasure of God; God is very kind to His (faithful) servants.
All Islamic researchers (Suni & Shia) say that this verse was revealed about Imam Ali ( A.S ), when he easily slept in the bed of the Prophet ( PBUH&F ) , when the prophet had to go from Mecca to Medina. The person who would agree to do this must have these characteristics:
- He preferred the safety of the Prophet ( PBUH&F ) to his own safety
- He had faith in the duty of a man to get the pleasure of the Allah and His Prophet Muhammad ( PBUH&F ) all the time.
- He had the courage.
- He had the confidence and faith in God’s protection
And it was on this very occasion that the above verse was revealed from God.
Sunni References :
- Tafsir al Kabir, by Fakhr ad Din al Razi, v 2 p 189 ( for the above narrt )
- Hakim al Mustadrak, v 3 p 4
- Ghayatul Maryam, p 344 -> 345
- Tafseer e Qurtubi, v 3 p 347
- Asadul Ghaiba fe Marifatil As Sahaba, v 4 p 25
- Tafseer Nishapoori ( Allama Nishapori ) , v 1 p 281
- Kifyatul Talib, p 114
- Zhakhiar al Uqba, p 88
- Noor ul Absar, p 86
Great Quran Chapter II – Verse 269
- He (God) gave the wisdom to whoever He wants, and the person who has been given wisdom has been given the best thing….
In this verse “Wisdom” means the best knowledge : True knowledge that is a kind of help from God which is the result of always trying to get it in life . Many Sunni researchers say that this verse was revealed for Imam Ali (A.S). It is not surprising that such a unique gift ( of having wisdom ) is inspiration (Ilhaam) which is given to real believers
References from other Muslim groups:
- Shawahid al Tanzeel ( Allama Haskani ), v 1 p 106
- Al Bidahiya wan Nihayiah, v 7 p 359 with a tradition from the Holy Prophet ( PBUH&F )
- Wisdom has been divided into 10 (ten) parts, and 9 (nine) of these are possessed by Ali, and the remaining has been divided among the rest of the people.
- Kanz al Ummal, v 6 p 154
- Asadul Bilagha, v 4 p 22 and v 1 p 22
- Kitabul Sagheer, p 15
- Manaqib Khawarizmi, p 49
- Dhakhair al Uqba, p 78
- Musnad of Ahmed Hanbal, v 1 pages 140 and 185
- Maqtal Hussain, v 1 p 43
Great Quran Chapter 3 Verse 61
- And tell those who have come and say some things against your beliefs that let us bring our sons and women and ourselves and ask God to curse the liars.
This verse refers to the famous event of ‘ Mubahala ‘ which took place in the year 10 A.H against the Christians of Najran. A group of 60 Christians of Najran came and discussed with the Holy Prophet ( PBUH&F ) the personality of Hazrat Isa ( A.S ). The Holy Prophet ( PBUH&F ) told them that Jesus was only a man who was created by God, and not God . Then the Christians asked who the father of Jesus was. and they thought that because Jessus was born without a father the Holy Prophet ( PBUH&F ) would helplessly accept Jesus’ father was God himself. and then this verse came:
The history of Jesus is like the history of Adam; God created Adam out of dust then told him be and he became!
When the Christians did not agree to this, then this verse(No.61) came and asked The Holy Prophet (PBUH&F) to suggest Mubahale. the Christians agreed and they wanted to return to their place and would have the Mubahala the next day. Early next morning the Holy Prophet ( PBUH&F ) sent Salman al Faresi ( May Allah be well pleased with him ) to the open place outside the city for the historic event, to make a small shade for himself and those who wanted to come with Holy Prophet(PBUH&F). Then the Christian priests arrived, and saw the Holy Prophet (PBUH&F ) entering the field with Imam Hussain ( A.S) in his lap, Imam Hasan ( A.S ) holding his finger, and walking beside him, Lady Fatima ( A.S) followed by Imam Ali al Murtaza ( A.S ). When the Prophet ( A.S ) arrived he raised his hand to the sky and said: Lord ,these are the People of my House When the Chief Priest found out that the baby in the lap of the Prophet (PBUH&F) was his young grandson, Imam Hussain (A.S), the child walking holding the Prophet’s ( PBUH&F ) hand was his first grandson, Imam Hasan (A.S), the Lady behind him was his daughter, the mother of the two children and the one who followed the Lady was his son in law, the husband of Fatima (A.S), looked at the big crowd of the people who had gathered there, and said:
- By God, I see the faces which, if they pray to God for mountains to move from their places, the mountains will immediately move!O believers in the Jesus, I will tell you the truth that if you don’t accept what Muhammad says and if these people whom Muhammad has brought with him curse you, you will disappear from earth.
The people immediately agreed. They asked the Holy Prophet ( PBUH&F ) to give up the idea of Mubahala and asked to be allowed to remain Cristian, and offered to pay ‘ Jizya ‘.
- Al Tabari, Commentary of the Quran, v 2 p 192 -> 193This event definately shows the truth about the real and spiritual purity of the Ahl al Bayt
- This historic event of a unique victory of Islam is the Shias ‘s religious thanksgiving festival of the victory against false ideas. It is important because:
- It clearly proves who are the members of the House of the Prophet ( PBUH&F )
- The importance of the event needs complete purity and goodness, for the Holy Prophet to present them to God as the best one of His creation.
- Ghayatul Maryam, p 300
- Sahih Muslim, v 4 p 1285 ( English Edition), the tradition is as follows:
- …( The third occasion is this ) when the following verse was revealed : Let us summon our children and your children. Allah’s messenger (PBUH&F) called Ali, Fatima, Hasan and Hussain and said : O Allah, these are my family …
Great Quran Chapter 3 Verse 103
- And hold firmly the Rope of God All together and (do not divide) be together.
Some Sunni scholars and commentators agree that the above verse reflects on the Ahl al Bayt. Here are some references
- Thalabi records on his Commentary Tafsir al Kabir from Aban ibn Tabligh that he heard Imam Jafer as Sadiq (A.S) say:
- We are the Rope of Allah about whom Allah has said: Hold fast to the Rope of Allah …
A tradition from the Holy prophet ( PBUH&F )
- I will soon have to leave you, but I will put Two important and valuable things among you, the Book of Allah and my descendants. The Book of Allah is like a rope which is from the heavens to the earth, and my descendants are my People of the House ( my Ahl al Bayt ). God tells me that these two will never separate from each other until they come to me at the Pool. So take care how you treat them after me.
As recorded in
- Musnad of Ahmed Hanbal, v 3 p 17
- Musnad of Ahmed Hanbal, v 3 p 26
- Sahih of al Tirmizi, tradition no. 874
- Kanz al Ummal, v 1 p 47, tradition no. 945 ( for the above hadeeth )
- Ghayatul Maryam, p 242
- Yanibul Muwaddah, p 118 -> 119
- Sawaiq al Muhriqah, v 1 chapter 11
- Safinatul Biharij ( Recorded by Allama Qummi from Allama Zamakhsari ) p 193