he words are the same ,but the meaning is completely different! The idioms i mean.Idioms and the words that make them are like chemistry! The words have different meanings and when we put them together,another new meaning comes out! Just like Na + Cl –> NaCl. There are hundreds of idioms ,but here are ten of the funniest English idioms . Knowing the idioms and words is not enough ..always try to use them in a correct way like the examples!
1. The lights are on but nobody’s home – We use it to say somebody is stupid or can not think clearly.
Example: She really did not get it you know the lights are on but nobody’s home!
2. When pigs fly – We use this idiom when we want to say something is impossible or it would never happen.
Example: Yea, right! You will have dinner with The President when pigs fly !
3. To have Van Gogh’s ear for music – to unable to tell the difference between the tone of musical notes because (Van Gogh had only one ear!)
Example: Johny really shouldn’t play the piano like that- I think he has Van Gogh’s ear for music.
4. To pig out – to eat very much, very quickly and noisily.
Example: The poor boy started to pig out when I took him to that expensive restaurant!
5. Everything but the kitchen sink – everything needed or might be needed.
Example: The RV had all the equipment for a good vacation to the North,everything but the kitchen sink!(Haha! an RV has a sink, actually)
6. To put a sock in it – to ask someone who is noisy to be quiet.
Example: Tom!! Would you please put a sock in it! I am studying!
7. To have a cast iron stomach – be able to eat or drink everything or very much without getting sick.
Example: I think I would be sick if I ate all the steak, but Bill looks to have a cast iron stomach.
8. To drink like a fish – to drink (alchohole) heavily
Example: You know that fat man with the bottle in his hand down the street? He seems to drink like a fish!
9. Use your loaf – use your brain, be smart
Example: Come on Paul, use your loaf! I know you can solve the problem!
10. Finger lickin’ good – very very tasty and delicious
Example: “How is the food?”! “Mmmm! It’s finger lickin’ good!”
Are there any other weird idioms that you find funny?
Leave comments and share them with us!